Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Not trying is failing

Hey everyone,
lately i've been thinking a lot... and i realized how much i've been doubting lately. i have such a fear of failing it's insane. I want to be good at Parelli and good with horses and everything i just am so scared of not being good enough. I want my black string so badly and i've been working towards that for so long... and i don't want to make it big in a show ring, i want to naturally train and work with horses and teach people how to achieve their dreams of that perfect relationship.. naturally. I've felt like some people doubt me... and doubt my abilities and don't think i know what i'm doing. Now, that is not the focus i should have at all because honestly the only opininion that matters is God's. My goal is next summer to be on the Madison Celebration savvy team or savvy spotlight and my ultimate goal is to be a instructor. I turn 18 in December and hopefully by then i'll have my official green string and be well on my way to my black one. Next summer I would love to be able to take a course at the Parelli center in Colorado with Magi. We'll see where God leads... but I'm realizing that not trying is failing... but if you try and don't achieve what you originally set out to it's not failing. It's trying and that's what matters. No matter what people think.. I have to stick to that and trust in my Lord and my horse... and not listen to the doubts.
-Kayla and Magi


Savvy tip of the day: when playing with a dominant LB horse don't be afraid to match the dominance and be firm. I've heard it said that what Pat gets horses to do is no different than what normals get them to do.. Pat just teaches us to do it naturally and have the horse acting like a partner. A dominant horse can't be babied and knows how to push buttons, so be persistent, use phases and do not be afraid to go to a phase four. Spoken from experience with my dominant LBE/LBI Magi:)

1 comment:

  1. What a good point, Kayla! I have a fallout that can sometimes get in the way of my dreams too. Although it's comparing myself to other Parelli people and thinking that's where we should be, not where we are. On Doreen Matheson's sight she says,
    "My savvy level really started to increase as these words from Ronnie Willis sunk deep, "You play with your horse where he is at today, not where you or anyone else thinks he should be." I realized that I had let my pride and others’ criticism get in the way of our progress. I was thinking, "You stupid horse. I’m a Parelli instructor and you’re making me look stupid. I’m going to make you level 1!!!" What a difference for both of us when I started playing with him and seeing his progress and potential instead of looking at where we were not!"
    Hooray for "Ah-Ha" moments!!! =-)
    Savvy on!!!

    ReplyDelete